A month or so ago Rachel @Hibernators Library threw out a reading challenge – 2019 Year of Shakespeare? Her idea was to read one comedy, one tragedy & one history play over the course of a 3-4 month period. With a new baby on the way, she thought that a co-hosting arrangement with the Classics Club might work better.
Some of us at the club got very excited about the idea – and one of us got the crazy idea idea about reading ALL of Will’s plays over a three year period – 37 plays, one a month until 2020!! But just writing that future date was enough to scare the puffy breeches off us.
So we decided to ask our Clubbers if,
- you would be interested in a Shakespeare event in 2019
- would you prefer one tragedy, one history and one comedy over a few months, or
- would you like a much longer, play a month, in chronological order or alphabetical order, until 2020 with various co-hosts helping out along the way?
Third or fourth options may also exist, including read a play then watch a movie adaptation/or read a modern adaptation of the story.
A quick late December update:
- Rachel and her new bub are both doing well – congrats Rachel!
- The interest for Rachel’s original idea is outstanding.
- She would like to host the first trimester – the comedies – aiming to read 4 of them during this time.
- Erica @The Broken Spine has now kindly offered to co-host the tragedies with Rachel.
- We’re still looking for someone willing to co-host the histories.
- Given the interest in reading more/all the Shakespeare’s from so many of you, the Club can then look to extend this into 2020 and beyond.
- A big thank you to everyone for your enthusiasm and support.
- My favourite seasonal meme is hosted by Sheila @Book Journey. It’s called First Book of the Year – send Shelia a pic of you with the book you plan to read in the NY by NYE so she can create a montage of what we’re all reading. It might be a lovely way to show off your Shakespeare 🙂